As Jewish Community Action’s 7th Annual Immigrant Rights Freedom Seder fast approaches, we are excited to announce Father Paul Ouderkirk and Paul Rael will be joining us to share their stories. Father Ouderkirk and Paul Rael have been at the center of the Postville relief efforts through their work at St. Bridget’s Catholic Church.
This year’s theme will focus on immigration and worker justice and will highlight two campaigns we are working on: Progress by Pesach – the Jewish call for an end to immigration raids and for immigration reform, and Hekhsher Tzedek- for worker justice in the kosher food producing industry. We will hear from community members affected by these issues and have time to take action for immigrant rights.
Sunday, March 22nd
Doors at 2pm, event starts promptly at 3pm
Mt. Zion Temple
1300 Summit Ave.
St. Paul, MN
This is a community wide event and all are welcome
Light Seder food will be provided
Child care will be provided
$10-$15 suggested donation, no one turned away for lack of funds
RSVP by March 16th to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Updates Week 6 of Progress by Pesach:
· Screening of Welcome the Stranger a huge success at Minneapolis Jewish Film Festival:
Last night was the Premier of Welcome the Stranger at the Minneapolis Jewish Film Festival at the Sabes JCC. Over 100 people attended and many asked about future screenings of the film as well as signed the petition for the Progress by Pesach campaign. Congratulations to MinnPost video journalist Steve Date on creating a beautiful piece on Postville. We will keep you posted on the completion of the trailer into a full length film.
· Signature Stats
As of this week, we have increased our signatures to 4,000! That means we have 3.5 weeks to get another 6,000 to reach our goal of 10,000 signatures – let us know if you want to help by hosting a house party for Progress by Pesach, we will get you everything you need to make it a success.
End of Campaign Event
Mark your calendars, Jewish Community Action is planning a post-Progress by Pesach wrap up Press event with congressional leaders on Tuesday, April 14th at noon at the Midtown Global Market in Minneapolis. This even will mark the end of Progress by Pesach and the continuation of our immigrant rights work in new directions, while continuing to push for passing of humane comprehensive immigration reform- more details coming soon.
· 4 ways in 4 weeks: There are still many opportunities to get involved:
1. Host a house party (we’ll help) – we have our first one in 2 weeks, and more will be confirmed shortly
2. Circulate the petition via Facebook (see Jewish Community Action’s Progress by Pesach under groups) and email, or print it up and carry it with you
3. Do a D’var Torah with an immigrant rights focus at your shul – JCA members have delivered 3 in just 6 weeks since the start of the campaign! (see attached or www.progressbypesach.blogspot to read them)
4. Hit the streets with us on your lunch hour and help collect signatures on March 18th, 25th or April 1st anytime between 11:45pm and 1:30pm – just RSVP with email@example.com, JCA staff will join you.
And of course, sign the petition if you have not yet:
www.progressbypesach.blogspot.com on the right hand column – make sure to sign local and national version!